DIY Legionella Risk Assessments

Supported by our Trust Mark Certified Team

Our DIY service is fully online but if you do have a question please email us at -

At Water Wise Services we are aware of the problems that landlords face in having work carried out.  Having to coordinate tenants, letting agents and tradesmen can be a nightmare especially when living miles away.  And now you have a legal obligation to have a Legionella Risk Assessment carried out.


Because of these problems we offer a Do It Yourself or DIY Legionella Risk Assessment service for domestic and low risk properties.  We believe this service to be unique in the UK.  Yes, there are other DIY Legionella Risk Assessment products but unlike other services, with us your risk assessment is checked and assessed by one of our Water Wise Engineers giving you that extra piece of mind.


This service is only available for domestic rented & low risk properties.  The property must be supplied by mains cold water and not include equipment such as air source heat pumps or water heating through solar panels because this type of equipment requires specialist knowledge.


Each assessment costs £10.00.


We often get phone calls from Landlords who have received a letter or email from letting agents telling them that Legionella Testing is a legal or statutory obligation, it is not.  You are legally required to have a Legionella Risk Assessment carried out and one of the outcomes of the risk assessment may be to have Legionella Testing carried out but in domestic properties this is rare.

Are We Competent?  As a Duty Holder (Landlords are classed as Duty Holders) it is your responsibility to ensure anyone who undertakes work on your behalf is competent to do so.  Our engineers are City & Guilds accredited for Legionella.  We are one of only a handful of companies in the UK to receive the Government Endorsed Trust Mark for our Legionella work.


We are also members of the Water Management Society, Water Industry Approved and Water Safe Registered.   As Water Industry Approved Plumbers our engineers are recognised by DEFRA and the Secretary of State as Approved Contractors. 

How It Works, The process is a very simple one;

  • Step 1 - Make your payment via the PayPal button.
  • Step 2 - Make sure you send us your email address with your payment.
  • Step 3 - We will email you a link to our online service and a "How to Guide".
  • Step 4 - We assess the information you have sent.
  • Step 5 - We send you your completed risk assessment.
  • Step 6 - In no more than 2 years time review the risk assessment and if nothing has changed then you need do no more.

Yes it really is that simple.  Our "How to Guide" takes you through the simple easy steps on how to complete the risk assessment.  All we ask is that you complete the risk assessment within 30 days.

Common Questions & Answers


I Did Not Need a Risk Assessment Before, Why Now?  The HSE periodically reviews Health & Safety practices and Codes of Practice.  In November 2013 the HSE released its 4th edition of the ACOP L8 and for the first time domestic properties fell under the requirements of the ACOP L8.


We Have a Combi Boiler, We Don't Need a Risk Assessment Do We?  A combi boiler is generally low risk but yes you still need a risk assessment.  The ACOP L8 does not allow for any exemption.


My Letting Agent Says I Must Use Their Service?  It depends on your agreement with the letting agent but as a landlord you are the duty holder and the risk assessment is your responsibility.  You have to ensure the risk assessment is carried out in a competent manner.


Can't I Just Do My Own Risk Assessment?  Yes you can but you may need to demonstrate that you have the knowledge, skill and competency to have carried out the risk assessment correctly and our service supports you in carrying out the assessment.


How Often Do I Need To Renew The Assessment?  The ACOP L8 requires that the risk assessment be reviewed at least once every two years or more often depending on changes to the system.

For this service to be applicable to you, your property must be supplied by mains cold water, not include any solar panels, air or ground source heat pumps.  The property must not be open to the general public or be any form care home, place of business or have a water system larger than you would find in a domestic property.


Please note this is not an automated service, all emails and correspondence are dealt with our service team rather than just automated systems so replies will not be instant.

Print Print | Sitemap
© Water Wise Services LTD